She Is Quick And Curious And Playful And Strong

Today, we learned that iconic fashion designer, Kate Spade, lost her fight against depression and took her own life. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me it felt like all the world's confetti had fallen to the floor and bold colors everywhere suddenly went grayscale.

Kate Spade holds such a special place in my heart. My sister gave me my very first pair of Kate Spade earrings one year for Christmas, and I remember how excited I was for the generous gift. When I met Spencer, I was so far down the "I love Kate Spade" rabbit hole, he had the easiest time finding gifts for me, because he knew that if it was gold and there was a spade emblem on it, it was safe to assume I'd love it.

She made the "Z" necklace I wore daily after getting engaged. I gave my bridesmaids "partners in crime" and "best friend ever" bracelets from her gorgeous bridal line. After I said "I do", my mom helped me change out of my grandma's pearls into my gold "mrs." necklace for the reception, before I jetted off on my honeymoon with my passport safely tucked in my "happily ever after" holder.

For me, Kate Spade marks a significant turning point in my life. My obsession with all things Kate Spade started around the time I met my husband, carried me through my wedding, and influenced much of my daughter's nursery as well as my philosophy on what it means to be, and to raise, a strong and sassy woman.

To know that the woman behind "Live Colorfully" and "She Is Quick And Curious And Strong" was suffering from such a dark depression reminds me how much work we still have to do. It reminds me that someone can put on an act, tossing confetti along with every step, and still be suffering in silence. It reminds me that no matter how someone's life appears from the outside, we don't know the demons they are fighting on the inside.

Losing Kate Spade, to me, is similar to how I felt when we lost Robin Williams. I'm baffled. I'm sad. I'm humbled. More than than anything, though, I am so very thankful I have the insurance and means to talk to professionals when my own depression has tried to get the best of me. I don't have the kind of life Kate Spade or Robin Williams had, but on most accounts- I have it really good- and it's really easy to dismiss someone's depression when they have it good.

Let today be a sobering reminder that depression doesn't discriminate. Take this tragedy and turn it into something positive by using it to remind you to be kind to everyone. If you know a friend is suffering - send a text and ask what they need - when they inevitably say nothing, show up anyway. Instead of hiding from the intensity of a loved one's depression, step out of your comfort zone to remind them that you love them for better or worse.

Never allow someone you love to fool you with fake-happy when you know better.

Here's to you, Kate, thank you for bringing so much sparkle and grace into my life - pop. fizz. clink. 

Comments

Popular Posts