Delaney Talks To Statues

I have been struggling to find a good name for this blog post, but I think this is perfect.

Delaney Talks to Statues is a song by Jimmy Buffett:




If you don't feel like giving it a listen, it's a song he wrote for his daughter, Delaney. I'm not sure how old she was at the time he wrote this, but judging by the lyrics I'd say she was near, maybe a little older than, Eva's age.

When this song popped in my head today, I got teary eyed because this song very closely depicts Spencer's relationship with Eva. Part of why I knew I wanted to marry Spencer is because I knew he'd be a great dad. He has not disappointed.

It's hard to even summarize all that has gone on in the past year between the tantrum-phase that started WAY early (but, is fading out before age two so I'll take it), the emotional toll of Eva's illness, the financial toll of Eva's illness, the challenges Spencer has faced while working to earn an AP position, and just all the daily craziness of life. Don't get me wrong, overall our year has been a good one, but Spencer's unwavering patience and love for both me and our daughter is something worth mentioning.

He and Eva have a strange friendship that is all their own. She may choose me when she's sick or wants to snuggle, but she knows dad's the one who will play music with her. Every weekday morning, the two of them sit on her toddler bed together while she has some milk and eats a banana. She climbs on him, she laughs with him, and while these things don't seem like much, they are the building blocks of her future relationships with men. She has a dad who doesn't let her down, so my hope is that when she starts to date (no earlier than age 25) she will know to only give her heart to boys who also never let her down.

Spencer encourages her to do anything, and insists I never put too much emphasis on how pretty she is so she knows she is so much more than pretty (fyi, I am very bad at this and constantly tell her she's pretty....). He pulls her up on the couch with him when he's watching sports and lets her play Mario Kart with him (while she makes a "vrooooom" noise).

So, since Eva can't write her own thank you to you quite yet, Spencer, let me do it for her. Thank you for being such an amazing dad. You are playing such a huge part in shaping her into the woman she will be someday. Your balance of patience and silliness is unmatched and she is so lucky to have you as a dad.

As for me, I couldn't ask for a better man to father my sweet girl. You make our lives so much better and as much as you refuse to admit it, you treat us like princesses. Thank you for all you do for us. Happy Father's Day xoxo




Comments

Popular Posts